Natural acids are popular ingredients in skincare products, and salicylic acid is one such magical acid that is especially useful if you have oily skin. As it prevents seasonal acne and breakouts, one of the major concerns of oily skin, it is also a must-have on your shelf to tackle skin concerns arising due to seasonal changes. Why do you trust salicylic acid for skin? How often should you use it? Read on for answers to questions like these and more!
Why do you trust salicylic acid for skin? How often should you use it? Read on for answers to questions like these and more!
What is Salicylic Acid?
Extracted from the willow bark, salicylic acid is a beta-hydroxy acid (BHA) that is oil-soluble. This lends it its ability to penetrate the pores more effectively, break down intercellular connections, and clear the congestion that plagues the skin cells. A pretty strong ingredient equipped with antioxidant and antibacterial properties, the amount of salicylic acid you apply on your face needs to be carefully monitored to optimize results and prevent any side effects.
Salicylic Acid Benefits for Skin
If you have oily skin, then most of the products you use should contain salicylic acid. Salicylic acid for oily skin helps prevent breakouts by decongesting pores and regulating sebum production. Let’s take a look at the benefits of using salicylic acid for skin.
- Combats Acne: One of the most important salicylic acid uses for skin is to help tackle acne. Comedolytic in nature, the acid penetrates deep into pores, unclogs pores and prevents blackheads and whiteheads. It also keeps sebum production in check and prevents dead skin cells from accumulating, thus preventing acne.
- Decongests Pores: Due to its lightweight nature and oil-soluble property, salicylic acid goes deep under the skin resulting in deep cleaning by dissolving all the excess oil produced, eliminating dead skin cells, and breaking down the sebum build-up. It reduces oil production, unclogs pores, and tightens them making the skin smoother and younger.
- Works as an Exfoliant: An excellent ingredient for people with bumpy skin, it works as an exfoliant by breaking the bond between skin cells, eliminating dead cells, and evening out the top layer of the skin, making it appear smoother and even-toned.
- Lightens Dark Spots and Blemishes: The lightening and brightening benefits of salicylic acid for skin are not unknown. It helps reduce dark spots, blemishes and tackles hyperpigmentation. Owing to its effective astringent properties, it also helps reduce discoloration and makes the skin smooth and glowy.
- Provides Anti-Aging Benefits: A beta-hydroxy acid, salicylic acid for skin helps smoothen it by eliminating bumps, blemishes, and hyperpigmentation. This ensures that fine lines and wrinkles are much less visible and continued use of the acid is known to bear remarkable results.
Equipped with the magical ability to prevent acne and clear out blackheads within a few weeks, salicylic acid for skin should be used at least once daily either as a cleanser, a serum, or a moisturizer. The acid helps tackle seasonal changes and ensures an oil-free, smooth and glowing skin without the risk of any side effects, making it an easy and effective choice for oily skin.